Eldin Karaikovic, M.D., Ph.D., started his orthopaedic practice in 2002, after graduating from the University of Missouri, Columbia, MO. As a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, he specializes in pediatric and adult spinal deformities, short segment fixation for scoliosis and thoracolumbar fractures, kyphoplasty, artificial discs, and herniated cervical and lumbar discs. During his tenure at NorthShore University Health System (2002-2020), Dr. Karaikovic has operated on thousands of patients and earned the Most Dynamic Practice Award for patient loyalty as well as two dozen Care Awards for Excellence in Patient Care.
Dr. Karaikovic also travels the world, training surgeons at the highly respected medical centers as well as surgeons at the local hospitals in developing countries. He is one of a handful of surgeons in the United States capable of conducting a technique called short segment spinal instrumentation and fusion surgery. The innovative technique is used to treat adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, a condition that, if left untreated, can lead to sometimes life-threatening medical problems.
Eldin Karaikovic, M.D. Ph.D., specializes in surgery for disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, including disc herniation, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, spinal arthritis, spinal fractures, spondylolisthesis, and spinal infections; as well as orthopedic trauma and fracture management.
I like to travel the world, training surgeons at highly respected medical centers as well as surgeons at local hospitals in developing world countries. I am a member of Health Volunteers Overseas, and am fluent in Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian.
Gender / Male
Affiliation / Independent practitioner
Expertise / Orthopaedic surgery, Adult & pediatric spine surgery, Orthopedic trauma
Academic Rank / Clinical Assistant Professor
Languages / Bosnian, Croatian, English, Serbian
Board Certified / Orthopaedic surgery
Clinical Service / Spine surgery
Education, Training & Fellowships
Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Orthopedic Trauma, New York University, NY
Residency and Internship
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Medical School: University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Illinois Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Medical Association of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Bosnian-Herzegovinian American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Achievements & Awards
- Exceptional Service Annual Award, Bosnian-Herzegovinian American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2010.
- Patients’ Choice Award, December 5, 2011.
- Merit Award, Social Services of the Canton of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2015.
- Merit Award for Professional Success in the USA, United Bosnia & Bosna TV, Chicago, Illinois, September 2017.
- Outstanding Specialty Teaching Award for 2019, Department of Family Medicine, Northshore University HealthSystem, University of Chicago, June 2019.
Conditions & Procedures
Arthritis (Neck/Back), Back, Disc Herniation, Neck, Spine
Cervical and Lumbar Surgery, Kyphoplasty, Microdiscectomy, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, Spinal Fusion, Spine Surgery
Medico – legal activities
IME, workers compensation, expert witness testimonies and medical license applications for medical doctors and health professionals.